The Best Books on Hand Lettering | 16 of my favorites books to teach and inspire you!
This post may contain affiliate links. Your cost is the same but it helps support this site and the fun freebies we share. See our full disclosures here.
Hand-Lettering was not something that was taught in my time at graphic design school. I simply started buying books on hand lettering and practicing the art form. I like to tell the students in my Art + Lettering Class that “practice makes progress”. Now, I have a pretty big (and ever-growing) collection of books on lettering. I went through them to pick sixteen of my personal favorites to share with you.
Studying a wide range of books and styles not only great for practicing but it also really helps you develop your own style.
- Creative Lettering & Beyond | This book is possible my very favorite. It is full of inspiration, tips, and even gives a full tutorial on digitizing a hand-lettered print using Photoshop.
- In Progress | Jessica Hische is one of my favorite lettering artists ever, so it’s awesome to get a peek into her sketchbook and her process.
- The Complete Book of Chalk Lettering | This book is a new addition to my collection. Valerie McKeehan’s work is amazing so I was thrilled to see her put out a book. It has 3 built-in chalkboards for practicing too. How cool is that?
- The Little Book of Lettering | This was on the first books in my collections and it’s still a favorite. Small in size but full of awesome work.
- Drawing Type | This book is great intro to drawing letterforms.
- Creative Lettering | Possibly my favorite of all my books. I anxiously awaited for Doh’s follow-up book, More Creative Lettering, which came out last summer.
- More Creative Lettering | Jenny Doh’s Follow up to Creative Lettering.
- Hand Lettering Ledger | While it does have a lot of practice pages, this little book has a ton of fun info and I’m happy it’s part of my collection!
- The Botanical Hand Lettering Workbook | This was on pre-order and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I just got it earlier this week and it’s so adorable…a great addition to my collection!
- Modern Calligraphy | Learning Calligraphy with a traditional pen is on my to-do list. This book I just bought and not only is it a complete guide, it has a beautiful sections of at least 20+ ways to draw every letter of the alphabet.
- Scripts | Dedicated solely to beautiful script lettering.
- Hand Lettering | A ton of inspiration and fun lettering styles to inspire you.
- The Art of Whimsical Lettering | Colorful and fun inspiration! Sharpe shows us how to use some really fun mediums as well.
- Zenspirations Dangle Designs | How to draw dangle style designs and doodles. This is a super fun style to add to lettering!
- Zenspirations Letters & Patterning | A guide to ultra-artsy lettering with fun designs and colors.
- Words to Live By: Creating Lettering, Coloring, and Inspirations | Shameless plug for my newly released book, which is available now!
Want to know about my favorite markers, paper, printer, etc?
See this post on My Favorite Art Supplies!
- How to do Brush Lettering
- The Best Markers for Hand-Lettering
- See all the free Coloring Pages from the archives here.