DIY Faux Gingerbread Ornaments. This post may contain affiliate links. Your cost is the same but it helps support this site and the fun freebies we share. See our full disclosures here.
I’ve always loved putting together gingerbread houses during the holidays. And I’ve always thought they added an extra “homey” feel to one’s home.
But then there’s the heartbreak of having to dump the poor beauty after the holidays because, well, even though the gingerbread may not be the most edible thing; it is, in fact, still food, and therefore has an expiration date.
I always wished I could make a gingerbread house that would keep! One I could unpack and pack away for Christmas year after year. (I have yet to figure out how to do this without using just ugly cardboard. If you know of anything, let me know.)
But good news: these faux gingerbread ornaments have no expiration date! Although not houses, they come in a close second(even if they don’t smell nearly as nice as real gingerbread)!
DIY Faux Gingerbread Ornaments
- Papier mache ornaments (such as this)
- Extra Fine Point White Paint Sharpie
- Faux Peppermint Candies, Gingerbread Men, etc. (anything that looks like candy)
- Dot Stickers
- Hot glue
1. Hot glue the plastic candy in a design you like.
2. Using the white marker, draw designs around the candy and on any blank space. Think of the white marker as your royal icing – anywhere there’d be icing on a real gingerbread house, it goes on the paper mache ornament (especially the corners)!
Simple as that!
Other Posts You Might Like:
Amy @ The Glitter in my Tea
Meet Amy, the face behind The Glitter in My Tea. Amy lives and loves to create. She delights in free printables, party supplies, and holidays(especially holiday DIY’s). Other passions include dollar stores, Instagram, sprinkles, smooching her son’s chubby cheeks, and anything sparkly or colorful.