2018 Lettering Challenge Prompts and Printable. Drumroll, please! The 2018 Lettering Challenge Prompts are here. Read all about how this year’s challenge will work and grab a printable version!
2018 Lettering Challenge Prompts and Printable
August 2015 was the very first time I posted a Lettering Challenge on Instagram. At the time, no one was really doing lettering challenges. It was an idea I had come up with for a sponsored post for DaySpring. It went over so well, I’ve continued doing it ever since.
A Short History of the DND Challenges
For the remainder of 2015 and 2016, I continued the challenges with specific prompts. In 2017, we did the Year of Color. And for 2018, I want to continue the challenge but I want to do so in a manner that gives you more creative freedom and pushes you to try new things. After much thought, I’ve decided this coming year will be themed and I hope you’re as excited about it as I am.
The 2018 Lettering Challenge Prompts
Each day will have a theme. Within that theme, anything goes. You’re the lettering artist and you have full creative freedom!
- Motivation Monday – Letter a phrase or quote that you find motivational.
- Try a New Style Tuesday – Try a new lettering style. You can find inspiration for new styles in the DND Lettering Styles section on my blog.
- Watercolor Wednesday – Letter using watercolors.
- Throwback Thursday – Letter using a style from a past decade.
- Flourish it Friday – Letter with a focus on adding flourishes to your work.
- Sketch it Saturday – Letter using only a pencil.
- Song Lyric Sunday – Letter your favorite line(s) from a song (or poem).
Finding Inspiration for the Lettering Challenge
- Join my Happy Email Club! Get weekly inspiration and lettering freebies right in your inbox every Monday. It’s totally free and you’ll get access to the Happy Email Club Members Only section of my blog. You can get a peek at what I send out each week and sign up here.
- Build your lettering library. Check out my post on My Favorite Lettering Books for Inspiration for some of my personal favorites.
- Be aware of your surroundings. I’m constantly snapping pics of cool lettering and typography while I’m out and about. Whether it’s traveling or grocery shopping, inspiration is everywhere.
- Pinterest is always a great source of inspiration. I have a ton of art and lettering boards you can check out here.
- Take a ton of classes! I take at least one class per week, typically via Skillshare and Brit + Co. When I take a class I love, I usually tell you about it via the Happy Emails and my DND Favorite Things posts.
Share your Work!
- Join my The Art of Hand Lettering Facebook Group. There are daily share threads to share your work. It’s a great place to get inspired, ask questions, and learn new things too!
- Instagram is where my challenges started! Follow me at @bydawnnicole and share your work with the #DNDLettering and/or #DNDChallenge hashtags.