You might remember this House Rules Painting Upcycle I did a while back. I was never totally happy with the finish that hand painting the black gave it and I always wished I’d used spray paint. Well, problem solved. I decided earlier this week I wanted to make the kids an alphabet themed piece of wall art. So I upcycled this large canvas (again). All the craft supplies I already had on hand so I didn’t have to buy a single thing for this project!
Once I decided on an alphabet themed piece, I started checking my favorite kids sites for inspiration. I scored with the first try! Below is the new Alphabet Wall Plaque from Pottery Barn Kids (which will set you back $129, by the way). I used the basic idea, changing the colors to be reversed to a bright background with white lettering and also making it more gender neutral since I have a boy and a girl.
What You’ll Need:
- Canvas (mine was 40″x40″). Check clearance sales and goodwill to find a cheap one!
- Scrapbook Papers
- White Copy Paper
- Spray Adhesive or Glue Stick
- Silhouette Cameo
- Mod Podge/foam brush
I started by determining that for my 40″x40″ canvas, I’d need 10″x10″ squares to make the bright tiled background. (I cut down 12″x12″ scrapbook squares). I attached them to the canvas with spray adhesive. (It might just be me but this stuff is messy. I always end up with super sticky hands and a sticky floor!).
Then I followed the Pottery Barn sign and opted for the same number of letters in each row. This meant I needed my letters to each be about 7.5″x7.5″. I cut them on plain white copy paper using my Silhouette Cameo. Even with the machine doing all the cutting, it was time consuming to re-size each letter…and to decide on a font! I used “Vaguely Repulsive” which you can download here.
I layed out the letters as I cut to be sure they fit as planned. Thankfully, they did! When I was done cutting the whole alphabet out, I used the spray adhesive to attach them to the canvas.
Then, using patterned scrapbook papers in coordinating colors, I started cutting out all kinds of kid related images: cats, dogs, birds, the moon, the sun, butterflies, an airplane, etc. I bought most of them from the Silhouette store. So, that means I lied about spending $0, I guess. I spent about $15 downloading images to cut. Once I had that done, I attached them to the canvas with the dreaded spray adhesive. I didn’t really make a plan. I just hung it on the wall and kept adding things until I liked how full it was. These pictures were in the beginning stages of adding the little images.
Then I simply carefully applied two layers of Mod Podge Matte over the whole canvas. I allowed the first coat to dry overnight before deciding it needed a second. Now, I’m fairly new to the wonders of Mod Podge and it did wrinkle the papers up a bit which concerned me at first, but after it dried I think it just added to the “artsy” look. I did see after the fact that there is a Mod Podge Paper formula that may have been a better option. Any Modge Podge experts out there, feel free to leave suggestions in the comments!