Basic Strokes Worksheets for Large Brush Pens. Download these free brush calligraphy worksheets, watch the video lessons, and get practicing!
Note: I mentioned most of the info in this post in the Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens post, but it’s worth repeating for those that come to this post first. If you read that post already, you can head right to the supplies and download portion of this post.
Basic Strokes Worksheets for Large Brush Pens
Whether you’re a newbie or experienced with brush calligraphy, it’s always a good time to practice basic strokes. I find large brush pens more challenging to work with than small ones, so I practice these basic strokes all the time. They’re especially helpful to do when you buy a new style or brand of brush pen.
The new sets of Basic Strokes Worksheets include an expanded set of basic calligraphic strokes. These strokes are simply pieces of all the letters of the alphabet.
These worksheets were designed for use with large brush pens. These are the supplies I recommend using.
- Paper: Print on Brush Pen friendly paper. The recommended copy paper is HP Premium32 Paper.
- Large Brush Pen: My favorites are the Tombow Dual Tips, Artline Stix, and Ecoline Watercolor Brush Pens.
- Procreate Brush: DND Basic Brush. Simply adjust the size on the slider to fit the size of the word you’re tracing. I usually set it to about 4% for the smaller words and 8% for the bigger ones.
Doing the Worksheets
- Don’t focus on making your strokes perfectly match mine. Focus more on the thin upstrokes and thick downstrokes part! Remember to use light pressure for the upstrokes and heavy pressure for the downstrokes.
- Go slow. Like super slow. Speed comes with practice and time but I find my work is most consistent when I keep it slow.
- Feel free to turn your page to get a better angle when needed.
- Be sure to set your printer scaling “Fit to Page.”
- The Printer I currently use is the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw.
Brush Calligraphy Basics Video: Supplies
A short intro video on the basics supplies used for brush calligraphy.
Brush Calligraphy Basics Video: The Basic Strokes
A video lesson demonstrating how to do the basic strokes.
Download the Practice Sheets
Click the buttons below to download the practice sheets
Printable Practice Sheet (PDF format)
Procreate Practice Sheet for iPad (JPG)
The iPad JPGs are a zipped file. You’ll need to unzip it to access the iPad sheets. If you’re unsure of how to unzip a file, Google is your friend. ?
Bonus Brush Calligraphy Basics Video:
This video is a free mini bonus module from my intermediate-level
Want to learn Brush Lettering in a more in-depth way? Try the 30 Days of Drills Workbook!
This workbook is perfect for busy beginners who want to learn the art of Brush Calligraphy. Commit to doing just one worksheet every day for 30 days and keep track of your progress with the included checklist!
Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens
Pop over and grab the set of Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens.