Basic Strokes Worksheets for Large Brush Pens. Download these free brush calligraphy worksheets, watch the video lessons, and get practicing!
Note: I mentioned most of the info in this post in the Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens post, but it’s worth repeating for those that come to this post first. If you read that post already, you can head right to the supplies and download portion of this post.
Basic Strokes Worksheets for Large Brush Pens
Whether you’re a newbie or experienced with brush calligraphy, it’s always a good time to practice basic strokes. I find large brush pens more challenging to work with than small ones, so I always practice these basic strokes. They’re especially helpful to do when you buy a new style or brand of brush pen.
The new sets of Basic Strokes Worksheets include an expanded set of basic calligraphic strokes. These strokes are simply pieces of all the letters of the alphabet.
These worksheets were designed for use with large brush pens. These are the supplies I recommend using.
- Paper: Print on Brush Pen-friendly paper. The recommended copy paper is HP Premium32 Paper.
- Large Brush Pen: My favorites are the Tombow Dual Tips, Artline Stix, and Ecoline Watercolor Brush Pens.
- Procreate Brush: DND Basic Brush. Simply adjust the size on the slider to fit the size of the word you’re tracing. I usually set it to about 4% for the smaller words and 8% for the bigger ones.
Doing the Worksheets
- Don’t focus on making your strokes perfectly match mine. Focus more on the thin upstrokes and thick downstrokes part! Remember to use light pressure for the upstrokes and heavy pressure for the downstrokes.
- Go slow. Like super slow. Speed comes with practice and time, but I find my work is most consistent when I keep it slow.
- Feel free to turn your page to get a better angle when needed.
- Be sure to set your printer scaling “Fit to Page.”
- The Printer I currently use is the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw.
Brush Calligraphy Basics Video: Supplies
A short intro video on the basics supplies used for brush calligraphy.
Brush Calligraphy Basics Video: The Basic Strokes
A video lesson demonstrating how to do the basic strokes.
Download the Practice Sheets
Click the buttons below to download the practice sheets
When the JPG pops up, right-click and select “save as image.”
Bonus Brush Calligraphy Basics Video:
Want to learn lettering + calligraphy in greater detail?
Check out the five-star rated Workbooks + Procreate Brushes in my shop!
Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens
Pop over and grab the set of Basic Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens.