iPad Lettering 101: How to Use Procreate. An ongoing blog and video series. New posts and video tutorials will be to be added to this page frequently, so check back often!
iPad Lettering 101: How to Use Procreate
Current Tools: I work on the iPad Pro 12.9″ (Gen 3) with the Apple Pencil 2 in Procreate 4 for all lettering work.
The magic of iPad Lettering lies in the trio that is the iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app. You’ll be beyond amazed what you can digitally create with this combo of tools!
iPad Lettering Basics
- Getting Started with iPad Lettering + the Apple Pencil
- How to Create Custom Color Palettes in Procreate
- How to Use Mockups in Procreate
- 7 Classes to Help You Rock iPad Lettering
- Grab my free DND Ombré Bleed Procreate Brush
Floral Framed Calligraphy
Learn how easy it is to create this look with a step-by-step tutorial and video lesson!
Rainbow Radial Lettering
Learn how easy it is to create colorful rainbow lettering on your iPad in this 10-minute video lesson.
Colorful Blended Calligraphy
Learn how to use my free Ombré Bleed Procreate Brush to create this easy colorful blended calligraphy.
Procreate Tutorial: Rainbow Calligraphy Crayon
Creating this colorful style of lettering is oh-so-easy. Follow these steps to whip up your own version. Plus, a free color palette!
Nine Lettering Styles + Printables
Nine easy styles to try on your lettering. Plus, two printables: a sample reference sheet and a full-color art print!
Creating 3D Lettering in Procreate
I’m working on growing my 3D Lettering Skills in Procreate thanks to some excellent resources from my fellow lettering artists!
Drop Cap Procreate Video Tutorial
Get your iPad Pro and Apple Pencil ready! I’m going to show you how to make this wintery “W” Drop Cap with a deep shadow in a step-by-step video lesson.
Artsy Painted Calligraphy
A step-by-step lesson on how I created this bright and happy painted calligraphy style in the Procreate app. Plus, a free color palette!
Lettering on Photos
Adding whimsical hand-lettering to styled photographs: A tutorial and free printable!
From the Lettering Shop
iPad Lettering Free Practice Sheets
Click the image below or head to this post to see all the practice sheets!
Using PDF Lettering Worksheets in Procreate
To use PDFs in Procreate, this is how I do it:
- I download the PDF on my computer and save it to a file-sharing site (like iCloud Drive or Dropbox).
- Then open the PDF on my iPad (using Dropbox) and take a screenshot of the page I want to practice.
- Then in Procreate 4, simply tap the “Photo” option in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose the photo from wherever you’ve saved it on your iPad.
- Add a new layer to letter on (so you’re not lettering on the same layer as the worksheet) and practice away! 🙂
Suggestions on things you’d like to learn are welcome!
Sound off in the comments.