July Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial. Follow along with my video on Procreate tips for creating this chalky paint style illustrated letter.
July Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial
We’re officially more than halfway through this year-long series! One of July’s birth flowers is the Waterlily, which is the floral I’ve used in the artwork for this month.
New to this series?
I recommend completing the previous lessons first and then returning to this one, as some lessons build on things taught in prior tutorials, although this one is pretty beginner-friendly. 🙂
- January Drop Cap Tutorial
- February Drop Cap Tutorial
- March Drop Cap Tutorial
- April Drop Cap Tutorial
- May Drop Cap Tutorial
- June Drop Cap Tutorial
What You’ll Need to Follow Along
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- Rainbow Row Color Palette (download it below)
- A Variety of Procreate Brushes. I created this Drop Cap and artwork using brushes from my Creativity Kit and Modern Folk Art Procreate Stamp Kit.
- Drop Cap Reference Sheet. I created a worksheet you can print and reference as we work through the step together. The “j” lettering style is from The Quinn Style Lettering Workbook in my shop.
Click the buttons below to download the reference sheet!
Using the Rainbow Row FOLK ART Color Palette
- Right-click or screenshot the photos below to save the color palette.
- Import the photo into Procreate and use the Color Selection tool to save the colors to a new palette. (Google how to do this, if needed).
- Use the color palette in design programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Match your physical art supplies (markers, color pencils, watercolors, etc.) to the palette and work the old-school way!
Watch the JULY Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial Video Lesson
Follow along with the video below to create this chalky paint-style illustrated letter.
This month’s video lesson is a bit over 26 minutes long.
If you want to skip or re-watch any tutorial portions, here are the timestamps for each section.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:14 Project Overview
- 01:00 Sketching + letter j Drop Cap
- 03:16 Coloring Your Drop Cap
- 06:37 Drawing and Coloring the Waterlily
- 16:49 Duplicating and Customizing the Florals
- 18:30 Stems
- 19:15 Pastel Background Element
- 21:05 Butterflies + Details
- 24:50 Closing Comments
- 26:01 Outro
I hope you enjoyed the July video lesson.
Stay tuned for next month’s Floral Drop Cap Tutorial!
Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Shop
I am always excited about this every single month!!! Thank you so so much Dawn.
PS: Gorgeous pic over there!!!
Dawn Nicole says
Thank you so much, Sky! I so appreciate that you take the time to leave a kind comment each month. I hope you’re enjoying a wonderful weekend! 🙂