July Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial. Follow along with my video on Procreate tips for creating this chalky paint style illustrated letter.
JuLY Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial
We’re officially more than halfway through this year-long series! One of July’s birth flowers is the Waterlily, which is the floral I’ve used in the artwork for this month.
New to this series?
I recommend completing the previous lessons first and then come back to this one, as some lessons build on things taught in prior tutorials, although this one is pretty beginner-friendly as is. 🙂
- January Drop Cap Tutorial
- February Drop Cap Tutorial
- March Drop Cap Tutorial
- April Drop Cap Tutorial
- May Drop Cap Tutorial
- June Drop Cap Tutorial
What You’ll Need to Follow Along
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- Rainbow Row Color Palette (download it free HERE)
- A Variety of Procreate Brushes. I created this Drop Cap and artwork using brushes from my Creativity Kit and Modern Folk Art Procreate Stamp Kit.
- Drop Cap Reference Sheet. I created a worksheet you can print and reference as we work through the step together. The letter “j” style I’ve used is from The Quinn Style Lettering Workbook in my shop.
Click the buttons below to download the freebie!
Watch the JULY Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial Video Lesson
Follow along with the video below to create this chalky paint-style illustrated letter.
This month’s video lesson is a bit over 26 minutes long. You can also watch it on YouTube here.
In case you want to skip or re-watch any portions of the tutorial, here are the timestamps for each section.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:14 Project Overview
- 01:00 Sketching + letter j Drop Cap
- 03:16 Coloring Your Drop Cap
- 06:37 Drawing and Coloring the Waterlily
- 16:49 Duplicating and Customizing the Florals
- 18:30 Stems
- 19:15 Pastel Background Element
- 21:05 Butterflies + Details
- 24:50 Closing Comments
- 26:01 Outro
I hope you enjoyed the July video lesson.
Stay tuned for next month’s Floral Drop Cap Tutorial!