June Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial. Follow along with my video on Procreate tips and tricks for creating this cute Folk Art Rose Letter.
June Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial
This modern folk art “J” Drop Cap was so much fun to create!
I hope you have just as much fun creating it as you follow along with the video lesson. I’ve also got a free Folk Art Rose Procreate Stamp for you so be sure to download that along with this month’s reference sheet.
New to this series?
I recommend completing the previous lessons first and then come back to this one, as some lessons build on things taught in prior tutorials, although this one is pretty beginner-friendly as is. 🙂
- January Drop Cap Tutorial
- February Drop Cap Tutorial
- March Drop Cap Tutorial
- April Drop Cap Tutorial
- May Drop Cap Tutorial
What You’ll Need to Follow Along
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- Cotton Candy Color Palette (download it free HERE)
- A Variety of Procreate Brushes. I created this Drop Cap and artwork using brushes from my new Modern Folk Art Procreate Stamp Kit.
- Drop Cap Reference Sheet. I created a worksheet you can print and reference as we work through the step together.
Click the buttons below to download the freebies!
Modern Folk Art Style Lettering and Illustration Tips
I shared this last month when we did the May Drop Cap but in case you missed it, here are a few things I keep in mind when creating in this style:
- Use a lot of bright, fun, and bold colors.
- Create balance and fill the space around the letters using what I call “imperfect” symmetry.
- Keep your illustrations simple in shape and add then basic details all over. I use a lot of lines and dots.
- Flat illustrations are typical. Meaning, I don’t usually use textures or shadows in this type of artwork.
And as always, using a lot of layers makes it easier to edit and adjust your artwork when you need to. 🙂
Watch the June Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial Video Lesson
This month’s video lesson is a bit over 15 minutes long. You can also watch it on YouTube here.
In case you want to skip or re-watch any portions of the tutorial, here are the timestamps for each section.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:13 Project Overview
- 01:06 Drop Cap
- 01:34 Letter Details
- 04:24 Roses
- 07:30 Leaves
- 08:39 Stems
- 09:15 Letter Details, Part 2
- 09:45 Butterflies
- 12:07 Background Elements
- 15:11 Closing Comments
- 15:35 Outro
I hope you enjoyed this month’s video lesson.
Stay tuned for next month’s Floral Drop Cap Tutorial!