The 2020 Lettering Challenge: Weekly prompts to help you get creative, grow your lettering skills, and build up a portfolio!
2020 Lettering Challenge
Weekly Prompts Designed to Inspire + Grow Your Lettering Skills!
For the 2020 Lettering Challenges, I’ll be giving you various prompts to hand-letter in your personal style each week.
It’s a fun way to get creative, grow your lettering skills, and build up a portfolio of lettering work.
And, of course, I’ll be sharing lettering tips along the way.
- The theme for this year is music, and I’ll be selecting music lyrics I think will make great lettering pieces.
- Give credit where credit is due. If you share your work publicly, be sure to credit the musical artist for the song lyric you lettered.
Post your work to Instagram and use the hashtag #DNDlettering. I’ll be picking features via Instagram and sharing them in my IG stories and even on my blog Facebook page (with full credit and a link to your IG, of course!) and Facebook Lettering Group.
Song Lyric Lettering Example
Below is a lyric I lettered from the Gavin DeGraw song Best I Ever Had.
January 2020 Lettering Challenge Prompts
Week One Prompt (Jan 5): “And things are ’bout to get real good.”
- Credit: Lyric from the song Me Without You by Gwen Stefani.
- I chose this lyric because Gwen is the coolest!
- It’s a great attitude to have as we jump into a new year. And it has a hint of sass mixed in with a positive outlook.
Week Two Prompt (Jan 12): “You should see me in a crown.”
- Credit: Lyrics from the song You Should See Me in a Crown by Billie Eilish.
- I chose this lyric because I feel that it evokes a feeling of self-worth.
- It’s a lyric that gives you the perfect opportunity to mix illustrations into your lettering piece.
Week Three Prompt (Jan 19): “When the bones are good, the rest don’t matter.”
- Credit: Lyrics from the song The Bones by Maren Morris.
- I chose this lyric because I love the overall message about building a good, strong foundation that can apply to so many aspects of life.
- You could alternatively letter the line, “The house don’t fall when the bones are good” from the same song.
Week Four Prompt (Jan 26): “Sometimes the only way is jumping. I hope you’re not afraid of heights.“
- Credit: Lyric from the song Meaning by Gavin DeGraw.
- I chose this lyric because Gavin DeGraw is my favorite music artist of all-time. His lyrics are creative and poetic, which makes them ideal for lettering creatively.
- It’s a longer phrase that makes the layout a challenge, but taking on a challenge is how you grow your skills. The lyric is about taking risks, and I hope you’ll do that with this week’s prompt!
⬇️ PRINTABLE VERSION ⬇️
February 2020 Lettering Challenge Prompts
Week One Prompt (Feb 2): “Something so magic about you.”
- Credit: Lyric from the song From Eden by Hozier.
- I chose this lyric because I’m a huge Hozier fan!
- The word magic lends well to adding some fun illustrations to your lettering.
Week Two Prompt (Feb 9): “We’re dancing in the moonlight.”
- Credit: Lyrics from the song Moonlight by Grace Vanderwaal.
- I chose this lyric because it’s such a fun song. My kids were playing it and I instantly fell in like with the upbeat tune and Grace’s vocals.
- It’s another lyric that gives you the perfect opportunity to mix illustrations into your lettering piece.
- She’s 15 years old. Holy talented!
- Credit: Lyrics from the song Follow Through by Gavin DeGraw.
- Another Gavin lyric because he’s my all-time favorite musical artist.
Week Four Prompt (Feb 23): “You don’t know how lovely you are.“
- Credit: Lyric from the song The Scientist by Coldplay.
- If you’ve never heard Natasha Bedingfield’s cover of it, you must give it a listen below. She’s amazing!
⬇️ PRINTABLE VERSION ⬇️
March 2020 Lettering Challenge Prompts
Join the Happy Email Club (It’s free!)
You’ll get exclusive new practice sheets, shop news, and fresh tips in your inbox every month.
Click here to join the club.
Join the FB Group!
- Sunday: Song Lyric Sunday! This will be where you share your work from the 2020 Challenge Prompts.
- Monday: Mockup Monday. Mockups are the perfect way to show off your lettering work and create a fab portfolio, so we’ll focus on using them once a week!
- Tuesday: Tip Me Tuesday. On this day, you can share or ask for lettering and creative business-related tips. I’ll try to share some of my own in the thread each week as well.
- Wednesday: Wild Card Wednesday. Share anything you want that’s lettering related including links to your shops/blogs/etc.
- Thursday: Help Thread Thursday. This is the thread for anything you need a bit of help or feedback on!
- Friday: Feature Friday. I didn’t create a fun graphic for this day because I’ll be featuring one of YOU each week! I’ll be picking features from the #DNDlettering hashtag on IG.
- Saturday: Social Saturday. This was a popular thread this past year so I’m keeping it the same for 2020. You’ll be able to share links to any of your lettering related social media or a particular post you’d like some extra love on!
Share the 2020 Lettering Challenge love!
CLICK HERE to pin the below image.