Modern Farmhouse Style Loft. A peek into the cozy and casual multipurpose room of our Charleston, SC-based home.
Modern Farmhouse Style Loft
As a major homebody, spending time decorating each room is something that brings me great joy. Now that our kids are all school-aged, the layout of our house is ideal. Our master bedroom and main living room space are on the main floor of the house. All of the kids’ bedrooms and this multipurpose loft are on the second floor.
Since the downstairs living room is much more formal, I wanted this space to be relaxed, cozy, and a bit more masculine. The décor pays homage to my husband’s career as an Air Force pilot as well as our adventures as a military family.
I will list all décor info and sources near the end of the blog post.
As you walk upstairs, there are three bedrooms and a full bathroom. To your left, you enter our cozy little loft space, which opens up to the upper-level porch. This is the room where we watch movies, play video games, and hang out on the porch with a good book.
We started by painting the walls in a dark color called Web Gray by Sherwin-Williams. I was a little nervous about going so dark, but this room gets a lot of natural light, and I really love it!
Two of the couch cushions open up for storage, which is handy. The long one is chock full of all the kid’s legos. It’s easy for the kids to access them, but also is a great hiding spot!
The couch has seen better days (thanks to kids, dogs, and an overseas move), and the whole sectional wouldn’t fit up in the loft, so we had to get rid of parts of the sectional. But it’s so comfy and it works well in the space so we’re keeping it for now.
The piece with the plaid pillows on it is actually the ottoman and is the second storage piece. It’s full of stuffed animals and putting it in the corner helped us make the sectional work in this space.
Modern Farmhouse Style Loft Decor Source List
- Wall Paint: Sherwin-Williams Web Gray
- Rug: Tribal Design Shag Rug from Target
- Couch: IKEA Sectional (originally purchased in Germany)
- Light Fixture: Mariana Cognac Glass Antique Black and Round Base 6-light Pendant from Overstock
- Pillows: Home Goods
- Striped Blanket: The one on the couch is an Ugg Blanket I scored at Home Goods. The striped blanket in the striped basked next to the piano I bought at IKEA in Germany.
- Striped Basket next to the piano: Amazon
- Wall Clock: Hobby Lobby
- Wall Shelf: Home Goods
- Assorted Faux Plants: Home Goods and Amazon
- Custom Number Wood Sign (5): Americana Signs on Amazon. I have several of his signs and LOVE them. You can pick any number for your sign.
- Phonetic Alphabet Sign: Etsy
- Custom C-17 Blueprint Engraved Sign: Etsy
- Candle Sticks: Hobby Lobby
- Tea Cart: Craiglist find that I painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
The piano, vintage beer poster above the piano, airplane propeller, and TV stand were all also purchased when we were stationed in Germany.
When the weather is nice, we open the doors to the porch and let the fresh air and sunshine in!
I hope you enjoyed this peek into our loft space. I’ll be sharing the porch spaces super soon! Want to see the master bedroom, open concept living room and kitchen, my home office, and more? Click the link below!
YOU CAN SEE MORE POSTS FROM THE DAWN NICOLE AT HOME SERIES HERE.