Motivational Wall Hanging with the Silhouette Advent Calendar
Happy Motivation Monday! Today, I’m sharing a Sketch Pens tutorial on creating a Motivational Wall Hanging using the Silhouette Advent Calendar. I’m a big believer in staying positive and I love looking at this display full of reminders that now adorns a wall in my craft room office!
You’ll find this PDF tutorial on using Sketch Pens from Silhouette really handy if you’re a first time sketch pen user. (It took me 3 years of being a Silhouette user to try them…and I’m in love!)
- Silhouette Advent Calendar
- Silhouette Adhesive Cardstock
- Silhouette Printable White Sticker Paper
- Assorted Sketch Pens (I used a mix of regular, glitter and metallic pens)
- Black and Colored Cardstock
- Start by drawing a 2.5” by 3.5” rounded rectangular box in Silhouette Studio. Add several more to your page using cut and paste.
- Add in motivational sayings from the Silhouette Online Store (I’ll be sharing a list of the ones I used at the end of this post). I did about 6 cards at a time. I did some on White Adhesive Cardstock, some on Printable White Sticker Paper, and some on Black Cardstock (using a white sketch pen to create a chalkboard look).
- Select all the images/text on your page and then click “no cut” in the cut settings window as shown below.
- Select all the just the images/lines you want to sketch with the sketch pens and click “cut” in the cut settings window as shown below. This prevents the card outlines from being sketched and allows you to sketch multiple colors on one page if you’d like. Insert a sketch pen and select “Sketch Pen” as your media type. DO NOT remove your mat when it’s done sketching because we want the machine to also cut out the cards.
- Select all and click “no cut” again just to be sure everything is de-selected. Then select only the card outlines and select “cut”. Be sure to replace the sketch pen with a cutting blade and select the appropriate media type.
- I stuck the white cards (which were made with adhesive cardstock and white sticker paper) onto colored cardstock to add more pops of color.
- Then just clip the cards randomly on the advent calendar and you’ve got a whole bunch of motivational sayings to inspire you! Plus you can change/add new phrases whenever you’d like.
These are all the designs I used from the Silhouette Design Store:
- I just want to make beautiful things phrase
- do what you love phrase
- if you work hard phrase
- best way to lift is to help phrase
- happy is a way of life phrase
- do what people say cannot do phrase
- live way remembered phrase
- it always seems impossible until it’s done phrase
- makes me awesome
- it’s a good day to have a good day phrase
- we can do hard things phrase
- make stuff be happy phrase
- life is tough, so are you phrase
- enjoy the little things they really are the big things phrase
- be the change in the world phrase
- looking good
- be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle phrase
- always be the solution phrase
- good manners and kindness phrase
- pray hardest when it’s hardest to pray phrase
- do your best phrase
- do more of what makes you happy phrase