New Home Office + Creative Space. We just moved from Germany to Charleston, SC. Here’s a peek into my new home office + creative space!
New Home Office + Creative Space
I can’t tell you how good it feels to be getting settled and into a routine once again! We moved out of our house in Germany in late May. Between then and closing on this house in Charleston, SC in late July, we lived a nomadic existence with our three kids and two dogs. We slept in ten different places!
Our household goods arrived this past Friday, and we’ve been working round the clock to get unpacked and organized. Getting my new office space situated was one of my top priorities so that I can get back to work. And also because my office is the very first thing you see when you walk into our front door.
Organizing a New Space
We move every one to three years. I’ve had creative spaces the size of a closet to areas as big as half the top floor of our home (like I did in Germany). My new space is a good sized room, roughly 10 ft by 12 ft, but it’s still a lot smaller than my last space, so organization and storage are essential.
I love all the windows in my new home office + creative space. The natural light is excellent for all the photos I take for the blog!
- Cube Shelving: I used two IKEA KALLAX shelves to store the bulk of my books, printers, and office supplies. All the pink and gray fabric bins are also from IKEA.
- Rolling Cart: The blue rolling cart in the corner is an IKEA RÅSKOG utility cart. The white and metal bins hanging off of it are also from IKEA.
- Rug: I ordered this 5’x7′ Damask Tufted Vintage Wool Rug, Multicolored from Target.com and I am so impressed with the quality. The first rug I ordered from Overstock, and while I didn’t love it in my office, it looks perfect in our Master Bedroom.
- Desk: I ordered a beautiful wood desk from Steven Shell Living, but it is a custom order so it will take up to 16 weeks to arrive. In the meantime, I picked up this adorable Hairpin Desk from Target for just over $50!
- Walls: Agreeable Gray Paint by Sherwin-Williams
The Workbox 2.0 Storage Unit
Opposite my windows is my WorkBox 2.0 from The Original ScrapBox. The current model is the WorkBox 3.0. It’s slightly different in the shelving layout and comes with clear bins, and it takes a lot fewer hours to assemble than my model. Mine came with black fabric bins, but I upgraded to the clear totes just this past week.
P.S. You can use this link to get an exclusive code $50 off your order at The Original ScrapBox.
When I first got my WorkBox 2.0, I posted an unbiased review of it which you can read here. Within that review is a photo of it in my last home studio, with the black fabric bins. It’s crazy awesome how much I can store in it!
The Final Touch
The last thing I need to do to complete my new home office is to replace the builder-grade “boob” light ASAP. 😜 Today, I ordered the same light we installed in our still-a-work in progress living room.
Update: The light is now in and I love it.
It’s the Kichler Barrington Anvil and Driftwood Art Deco light, and I ordered it from Lowes.com. I accidentally broke one of the glass shades when we installed the family room one, so we just omitted them and I actually think I prefer it without them.
Want to follow along as I decorate the new house?
I’ll be sharing everything over on my new(ish) second blog, Dawn Nicole Co, where I’ve been blogging about Blogging as a Creative Business and am now adding Decor and Lifestyle posts as well. 💕