October Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial. Follow along with my step-by-step video for creating this spooky glam letter O in Procreate.
October Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial
It’s my birthday month! As a Halloween baby, I’m all about this holiday. Inspired by re-creating my Spooky Glam Ampersand artwork from last year, this month’s drop cap project features a very similar vibe!
The video tutorial is just shy of 35 minutes long and you’ll need to press pause along the way once or twice as instructed in the video lesson. You can expect this project to take you about 45-60 minutes to complete.
New to this series?
I recommend completing the previous lessons first and then come back to this one, as some lessons build on things taught in prior tutorials, although this one is pretty beginner-friendly.
- January Drop Cap Tutorial
- February Drop Cap Tutorial
- March Drop Cap Tutorial
- April Drop Cap Tutorial
- May Drop Cap Tutorial
- June Drop Cap Tutorial
- July Drop Cap Tutorial
- August Drop Cap Tutorial
- September Drop Cap Tutorial
What You’ll Need to Follow Along
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- October Color Palette (Download it free below. It’s in a Procreate specific format)
- A Variety of Procreate Brushes. Mainly a basic monoline brush, a texture, and the free stamp set below. I’ll be using the DND Perfectly Aged Texture Brush from my Texture Kit 2 Brush Set.
- Drop Cap Reference Sheet. I created a worksheet you can print and reference as we work through the step together.
Click the buttons below to download the freebies!
Watch the October Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial Video Lesson
Follow along with the video below to create this spooky glam Floral Drop Cap.
This month’s video lesson is just under 35 minutes long. You can also watch it on YouTube here.
In case you want to skip or re-watch any portions of the tutorial, here are the timestamps for each section.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:14 Project Overview
- 01:22 Canvas Step Up + Drawing the Letter O
- 04:22 Adding the Textures Using Multiple Clipping Masks
- 09:22 Creating the Spiderwebs
- 12:05 Easy Letter Outline
- 13:43 Adding the Drop Cap Shadow
- 14:50 Creating the Pink Cosmos Florals
- 21:13 Creating the Black Cosmos Florals
- 24:16 Adding the Vine Detail
- 25:59 Adding the Spiders
- 27:43 Adding the Bats
- 31:51 Editing the O Textures to Make the Bats More Visible
- 32:50 Notes on Organizing Your Layers
- 33:20 Exporting Your Artwork as a PNG or JPG file
- 34:00 Closing Comments
- 34:17 Outro
NEW IN THE SHOP!
I hope you enjoyed the October video lesson.
Stay tuned for next month’s Floral Drop Cap Tutorial.
Only two months to go for the year!