September Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial. Follow along with my video on Procreate tips for creating this whimsical, childlike letter S.
September Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial
A script letter “S” combined with Aster florals in a whimsical, childlike illustration style is what we’ll be creating together this month.
The video tutorial is nearly 40 minutes long, but I had some requests to break things down even further, and you’ll probably need to press pause along the way. I’d expect this project to take you about an hour or even up to 90 minutes to complete. 🙂
New to this series?
I recommend completing the previous lessons first and then returning to this one, as some lessons build on things taught in prior tutorials, although this one is pretty beginner-friendly. 🙂
- January Drop Cap Tutorial
- February Drop Cap Tutorial
- March Drop Cap Tutorial
- April Drop Cap Tutorial
- May Drop Cap Tutorial
- June Drop Cap Tutorial
- July Drop Cap Tutorial
- August Drop Cap Tutorial
What You’ll Need to Follow Along
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate App
- September Color Palette (Download it free below. It’s in a Procreate-specific format)
- A Variety of Procreate Brushes. I created this Drop Cap and artwork using brushes from The Creativity Kit and one stamp from the Modern Folk Art Procreate Stamp Kit.
- Drop Cap Reference Sheet. I created a worksheet you can print and reference as we work through the step together.
Click the buttons below to download the freebies!
Watch the SEPTEMBER Birth Flowers Drop Cap Tutorial Video Lesson
Follow along with the video below to create this whimsical Floral Drop Cap.
This month’s video lesson is just under 40 minutes long.
If you want to skip or re-watch any tutorial portions, here are the timestamps for each section.
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:14 Project Overview
- 00:48 Opening a new Canvas + Creating the S Drop Cap
- 07: 45 Creating the Aster Flowers using a Reference Photo
- 25:33 Duplicating the Florals and Adding the Offset Outlines
- 30:20 Adding the Floral Stems
- 31:10 Creating the Leaves Using Stamps + Leaf Offset Outlines
- 34:12 Adding the Spark and Dot Detail Elements
- 37:00 Closing Comments and Notes
- 38:40 Outro
I hope you enjoyed the September video lesson.
Stay tuned for next month’s Floral Drop Cap Tutorial.
October is my birth month so that will be extra fun!