You & Me Modern Calligraphy Practice Sheet. A cute “We go together like…” practice sheet you can use with a small brush pen, dip pen, or even a pencil!
You & Me Modern Calligraphy Practice Sheet
If you’re a beginner, small brush pens are the perfect way to start practicing brush calligraphy! They’re much easier to work with the larger brush pens.
If you’re a total newbie, start with my free Basics Strokes Worksheets for Small Brush Pens.
These worksheets are ideal for use with small brush pens. These are the supplies I recommend using.
- Small Brush Pen. My favorites are the Tombow Fudensuke Pens and the Pentel Touch Fude Flexible Tip Markers (because they come in colors!). You can also do this with a dip pen or even try your hand at pencil calligraphy.
- Paper. HP Premium Choice LaserJet paper for printing the worksheets. It’s gentle on your brush pens.
- Practice Sheet. Click the button below to download the printable PDF or click here for an iPad friendly format (JPG).
- Don’t focus on making your strokes perfectly match the worksheets. Focus more on the thin upstrokes and thick downstrokes part!
- Go slow. Speed comes with practice and time but still, I find my work is most consistent when I slow down.
Brush Calligraphy Basics
On the upstrokes, you use light pressure, and on the down strokes, you use heavier pressure. I’ll demonstrate this in a video later in the post.
- Check out my How to Do Brush Lettering 101 post here.
- Check out my Brush Calligraphy FAQs post here.
Watch a Brush Calligraphy Basics Video here:
This video is a free mini bonus module from my Constellation Lettering Online Class.
Why do I use fonts for practice sheets?
While I do create practice sheets from my own lettering and calligraphy, there are several reasons I use fonts for many of the worksheets I create for you.
- If I only used my style, that’s the only style you’d learn. One of the best ways to learn lettering and calligraphy and to develop your style is to study a ton of different fonts. I very carefully choose and purchase fonts I think will help you grow your skills.
- Great fonts aren’t cheap! This gorgeous Sophia Ronald font was $23. I buy the commercial use versions of fonts to create worksheets since most of my readers are hobbyists. Pricey fonts probably aren’t in the budget for the average lettering hobbyist. The font used is credited at the bottom of the worksheet.
- I create the practice sheets in a program called Adobe Illustrator and often make use of special characters called glyphs. Glyphs are typically used to create the fun flourishes and design elements in a font, like the heart in this set of worksheets.
I hope you enjoy this You & Me Modern Calligraphy Practice Sheet! Requests for types of worksheets you’d like me to create are always welcome. Leave requests in the comments of this post. 😃