I’m Dawn, an Air Force wife and mom of three. Being creative makes my heart happy but it’s not what I did for a long time! I have a BA in English and a MBA in HR Management, and I spent my days as an HR Manager at a pretty Charleston, SC resort before having kids.
That changed everything, so I did the SAHM thing for a few years and then went back to school in 2013 for an Advanced Certificate in Graphic Design and Branding. I have a passion for typography and hand-lettering. I launched my first eBook, a collection of coloring pages called Color Me Inspired in April 2015. A variation of Color Me Inspired will be published January 1, 2016. Words to Live By: Creative Lettering, Coloring and Inspirations will release on April 1, 2016 and is currently available on pre-order here. Book three is officially in the works as of December 2015.
This past year I started doing lettering for companies. I have licensed hand-lettering and artwork that started popping up in stores such as Hobby Lobby in November of 2015. My next big project will hit stores in February 2016, so stay tuned!
I feel so incredibly blessed to call being creative a career! I love, love, love what I do. I hope people are inspired by my career change over 30. I truly believe it’s never too late to change your career path and follow your creative passions.
A few random facts about me…
- I’m not really a morning or night person, but I can rock mid-day like nobody’s business (with coffee anyway).
- I am neurotically punctual. I am always, always, always on time (read: early). It drives my husband crazy.
- I’m 5’9″ and I change my hair color a lot.
- I was born on Halloween.
- I’m really friendly so people are always surprised to find out I’m a major introvert and completely content to hang out by myself. My homebody tendencies are borderline hermit.
- I started running a few years ago and I’ve done a few 5Ks, an 8K and completed my first half marathon on Mother’s Day of 2013.
- I love moving every few years like we do. There are downsides for sure but overall, I love the opportunity to experience so many different places. Charleston, SC is still my favorite place we’ve lived and I would love to retire there.
- I hate when people lack common courtesy or aren’t nice. It’s not that hard to be kind! (You can my post on this subject called “Be Kind or Be Quiet” here).
- I have 7 tattoos. (Skipping class in college to get a tattoo? Or two? Guilty.)
- I swore I’d NEVER drive a minivan. But I do. And I love it.
- My favorite bible verse is Proverbs 16:24 | Kind words are like honey—sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.
- I never let a day go by without dark chocolate and over-caffinating.