Have Fun Color Palette. Grab the playful color palette I used to create this folk art style lettering in the Procreate app!
Shop my Lettering Workbooks + Procreate Brushes→
Have Fun Color Palette
Fun. As an adult, we often get so caught up in the “adulting” side of life that we forget what it feels like to have fun. Add a pandemic in the mix, and you start to feel like Bill Murray in “Groundhog Day”.
I’ve been trying to seek out intentional ways to do things I enjoy in my daily life, even when I’m not really feeling it. In the military life, we jokingly refer to this as “forced fun”. 😜
For me, this has meant reading a ton of books and lettering, of course. But when I’m not feeling creative/motivated enough to create something from scratch (which is often lately), I’ve been working on re-creating older lettering pieces.
I first did a version of this “Don’t Forget to Have Fun” lettering 4 years ago. Last week, I sat down and decided to redo it by giving the lettering a refresh and adding modern folk art style florals and illustrations.
Go over to my Instagram and swipe for process video to see the very first version of the lettering from 2017. Practice makes progress, y’all! It can take YEARS to see major changes in your style and skills. Keep at it!
HAVE FUN Artwork Details
- I created this folk art-inspired lettering and artwork using brushes and stamps from several of my procreate Procreate Brush Sets.
- This artwork took me 5 hours and 6 minutes and 2,837 pencil strokes from start to finish.
- If you want to see how long your Procreate pieces are taking you, it’s super easy:
- With your canvas open in the app, tap the Action tool (the wrench).
- Then, tap “Canvas” > “Canvas Information” > “Statistics”.
Modern Folk Art Style Lettering and Illustration Tips
Here are a few things I keep in mind when creating in this style:
- Use a lot of bold colors.
- Create balance and fill the space around the letters using what I call “imperfect” symmetry.
- Keep your illustrations simple in shape and add then basic details all over (I use a lot of lines and dots).
- Flat illustrations are typical. I don’t often use textures or shadows in this type of artwork.
Using the HAVE FUN Color Palette
- Right-click or screenshot the photos in the blog post to save each lettering example and color palette.
- Learn How to set up Custom Color Palettes in Procreate here.
- Use them in design programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Match your physical art supplies (markers, colored pencils, watercolors, etc.) to the palette and work the old-school way!
Insta-Inspo + Procreate Tips.
- On my Instagram, many of my posts include a “Swipe to watch the process video,” which shows you how I take things from a sketch to a final piece.
- Check out my iPad Lettering video lessons and tutorials. I use many of the tips and techniques I’ve shared in my lettering pieces.
- I hope that you’ll use my color palettes and my work to inspire your own artwork. Please remember, there’s a fine line between being inspired by someone else’s work and being a copycat, so be sure to create something original.
Follow me on Instagram →
Learn lettering with me!
- Grab my new Hand Lettering for Beginners Workbook and learn all about lettering basics.
- Complete the 25 worksheets to learn varied weight Sans Serif, Script, and Serif lettering styles. Then use them in your original lettering work!
You Might Also Like…
- The Quinn Style Workbook is a follow-up to the Hand Lettering for Beginners Workbook.
- The Chloe Style is the latest in my hand-lettering workbook series. Check it out HERE.
Have fun creating with the Have Fun Color Palette!
Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Shop